Welcome to the Women's Residential College!
Hobart House, also known as Northwestern University’s Women’s Residential College, is the only all-female dorm located on the campus. Residents like to refer to the house fondly as the "Ho House" or "Hobe".
It houses 50 undergraduate women of various majors in spacious single and double rooms (also known for being the largest of any dorm on campus). Located at 630 Emerson St., at the center of the sorority quad, Hobart House is in the perfect location to take advantage of downtown Evanston, Norris (the student center), and the University Library. Our location near "L" stops Davis and Foster make trips to Chicago convenient.
Hobart is also right across the street from Searle, the health services building. Hobart is extremely close to two of the dining halls (Plex and Allison), and the Hobart dining room is located in the east side of the Foster-Walker Complex (Plex) dining hall.
A Little History
The House was designed by the architect James Gamble Rogers using Indiana Limestone. It was named in honor Emily Hatfield Hobart, a Northwestern University alumna who was murdered during a civil strife while serving as a missionary in China.
Hobart House was built in the east sorority quads in 1928 as an all-girls dorm. The Women's Residential College moved to Hobart House from Allison Hall in 1981 and changed its name to the Women's Studies Residential College (WSRC). In 1993, the name was changed for the last time to the Women's Residential College. This was done to encourage even broader participation by women in studies not limited by their gender.